CoalRegion.com
Buy your copy of the Coal Speak Dictionary!
Home
Recipes
CoalSpeak
Top Ten Lists
Coal Crackers
Towns & Patches
Book Store
Coal Bin
Links
Pictures
Do your Amazon shopping here
Search:
Keywords:
In Association with Amazon.com
Copyright © 1995-present
CoalRegion Enterprises
All Rights Reserved
Coal Towns
Towns, Villages, Patches in the Coal Region
- C -
<< Prev   Next >>
Canada : the extreme top rows of homes on the east side of Glen Lyon, all the way up the mountain.
Carey's Patch : in Hanover Twp. near Ashley. Or is it within the town of Ashley? Formerly known as Skunktown.
Carbondale : fifteen miles North of Scranton; take Rt. 6 east. So named for the carbon content beneath its soil. Birth place of the first coal in this area!
Chauncey : in Plymouth Township, between the borough of Plymouth and West Nanticoke. On the mountain overlooking US Route 11 and the Susquehanna River.
Cherry Valley : next to Heckscherville
Childs : in Lackawanna County. The "Round House" railroad repair yard is between Mayfield and Childs.
Chinchilla : where the turnpike ends, between Scranton and Da Summit on 611.
Clamtown : south of Tamaqua. Consists of about fifteen houses and one bar. This little town has been around over 100 years.
Coal Castle : between Pine Knot and Greenbury
Coal Run : near Shamokin and Kulpmont, between Brady and Sagon. Near the old Jamesway on Rte 901.
Coaldale : in addition to the town of Coaldale northeast of Tamaqua, there is a patch called Coaldale west of Wiconisco in Dauphin County.
Coleriane (Coalrain?) : now called Junedale. In Carbon County, between Weatherly and Kelayres, south of Harleigh and north of Lansford.
Coles : west of Mahanoy City
Colorado : between Lost Creek and Rappahannock; at Lost Creek #2, go straight instead of taking the right turn to Girardville. This town no longer exists. The Packer 5 breaker was near here.
Concrete City : Concrete City was 22 2-story homes that faced a courtyard with a wading pool, tennis courts, playground, baseball field and a small pavillion. It is believed to be the first example of modern tract housing. Located in Hanover Township, Luzerne County, about 300 yards east of Middle Road between Lower Askam and the Hanover section of Nanticoke (there is a historical marker there). About 9 miles north of Glen Lyon. Concrete City opened in 1913 as housing for key employees and mine supervisors of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad Company, Coal division who worked at the Truesdale Colliery. Each home had seven rooms and rent was $8.00/ month with concrete outhouses built behind each house. They were painted white with dark green trim. The main disadvantage of the concrete city was the dampness caused by moisture rising through the pourous concrete. Everything, including the roof is made of concrete. Each tenant was required to have a garden hose to wash the culm from the walls. Every two years, the coal company made necesary repairs and painted the entire town, inside and outside, papering any rooms as requested by the tenants. Only working coal miners were allowed to rent.
The Glen Alden Company took possesion of the property and did not want to spend $ 200,000.00 installing a sewer system required by the township. Demolition began in Dec. 1924. Glen Alden abandoned the complex, in place, because 100 sticks of dynamite had little impact on one of the buildings. Since then, the "city" has been used by the military, police, and fire departments for training. You can see large calibre hits on some of the walls. It was declared a historical site in 1988.
Concrete City school, located close to Concrete City, was a two story red brick building built in 1913 and was also known as the Betsy Ross School and as the Lower Askam School. It housed 300 students. It was razed about 1979. See pictures
Thanks to Frank Smith, Charles Ciesla, and others for this info!
 
Connor's Row : next to Courtney's Row, south across the crick from Heckscherville; a fire destroyed all five double-block houses in the early 70's.
Connersville : west of Mt. Carmel
Connerton : between Girardville and Lost Creek. Site of the Hammond Colliery. Flooding started in 1960 in lower parts of Connerton, near the crick. Sometime prior to 1961, the pumps in a nearby mine were shut down and the ground water started running out of cellars and down the streets, making the town unfit to live in. The state came in and bought out the homes, a la Centralia. Birthplace of Bishop Joseph Daley, one time Bishop of the Harrisburg Diocese.
Connor's Crossing : where the Cressona Mall is now, south of Pottsville on Rte 61.
Cooney Island : a small lake just outside Ashland on the Gordon road; Contained a prodigious stock of large carp that were suckers (ha!) for whole kernels of corn on a #6 hook. Also known as Coney Island.
Corktown : between Maizeville and Mahanoy Plane. Named after Cork County, Ireland. Had a population of about 17 in the 1950's. Less in the 1960's. Anyone from Corktown was known as "Corky".
Courtney, Courtney's Row : next to Connor's Row
Coxville : on Rte 93, south of Hazleton
Craig's Patch : between Mahanoy City and Brandonville
Cranberry (Old and New) : off old Rte. 924 between West Hazleton and Humboldt. Site of the Cranberry Ballpark and Clubhouse (where members came and drank their Utica Club). Also site of the Cranberry Breaker.
Crow's Hollow : outside Hecksherville.
Crystal Ridge : about a mile of old Rte 924 between West Hazleton and Humboldt
Cumbola : outside Port Carbon
<< Prev   A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ   Next >>